Oswald the Lucky Rabbit is the ruler of the Cartoon Wasteland and Mickey Mouse's older half-brother in the upcoming game. One of the goals of the game is to earn his trust. While not fought directly, he is also the second boss in the game.
Oswald was the first inhabitant of the wasteland, and became it's ruler in order to make the lives of the inhabitants better after being rejected or forgotten. However, Mickey Mouse accidentally created the Phantom Blot during his curious discovery of the world's model, and tried to erase the Blot. While Mickey left to his home, not knowing of his consequences, the Blot lived on and entered the Wasteland, and Oswald was left to defend his world in the Blot Wars. As time passed Phantom Blot would eventually defeat Oswald, and dethrone him as the ruler of the wasteland. Although he was defeated in the blot wars ,he was able to seal the blot in the paint thinner jug at a price: he lost his lady love Ortensia.
Leading up to the events of Epic Mickey
After the Blot Wars ended, Oswald, now forced into exile, is jealous of Mickey, blaming him for taking his spot as Disney's signature character, as well as releasing the Phantom Blot upon Wasteland. Oswald, like Wasteland's other inhabitants, is now trying to escape his Realm by taking Mickey's heart, and has even allied himself with The Mad Doctor to accomplish his goals. Oswald cringes when he first encounters Mickey, and is quick to mock Mickey when his back is turned. Despite this, however, Oswald is noted to help Mickey on his journey. Mickey must gain Oswald's trust if he wants to defeat Phantom Blot.
As the second boss in the game, he isn't your run-of-the-mill hit-him-enough-and-he-dies boss. This boss focuses on platforming and wits. You need to face the three Oswald Cartoons, called the Three Trials, each one testing your 2D platforming skills. When "Trolley Troubles", "Great Guns", and "Oh, What a Knight" have been conquered, he and his card guards will let you see him.
- Oswald was Walt Disney's first successful cartoon character when he, Ub Iwerks, and Charles Mintz created him. In fact, Mickey came to be just because Disney lost the rights to Oswald. Afterwards, Disney reclaimed the rights to Oswald back in 2006, by trading a newscaster to NBC/Universal in return.
- Despite the fact that he was around before color was introduced to cartoons; Oswald has a pair of blue shorts whilst Horace Horcecollar and Clarabelle Cow are appearing in black and white as they were when they first appeared.
- Oswald's girlfriend, Ortensia, will be in the Wasteland.
- Paradoxically enough, Pete's character predates Oswald the Lucky Rabbit by a good amount of years, existing at the same time as the old "Alice" shorts, though he would always fail to be as big a star as Oswald and Mickey.
- He is the only boss that doesn't increase either your Paint or Thinner capacity, nor does he have his own boss music. This is because the three Oswald cartoons are the only way to see Oswald and the cartoons have their own music playing when you're in the levels.
- Before the Blot wars Oswald made Mickey and Minnie a house in the Cartoon Wasteland for them if they were eventually forgotten, proving Oswald isn't as resentful against Mickey as he acts.